PhotoWidget

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Review: Coconut Oil

If someone asked you to have a cocktail of chemicals, what would you say? In most cases, I'm confident the answer would be no.

So now I pose another question; what do you put on your skin on a daily basis? If you use perfume, moisturiser, nail polish or body wash, it's highly likely you've had a mini cocktail of chemicals without even realising it.

Our skin is our largest organ so what we put on it, can be absorbed into our bloodstream. Now think of the ingredients in your beauty and hygiene products, and whether you said no to the first question.

We've been brought up in a society which told us it was normal and okay to have lead in our lipsticks, but if what I'm putting on my skin is just as important as what I put inside me, and I wouldn't voluntarily eat lead, then I don't think I should be using it in my beauty products either.

I'm so passionate about wellness because I realised quickly that a good diet and active lifestyle didn't mean I was healthy. To propel me further on my pursuit of wellness, I've made a conscious decision to start using organic beauty products and my favourite at the moment would have to be coconut oil. Not only can coconut oil be used in cooking, but it's the most amazing moisturiser I've found.

Source
Benefits of Coconut Oil

I'm not sure what I love most about coconut oil because the benefits and uses of it are endless (resources at end of post), but I've reviewed coconut oil as a moisturiser replacement in three main categories.

Health. Softness. Smell. 

My initial decision to start using coconut oil was based on my health. Nothing vain about it. Knowing that many other moisturisers on the market are petroleum based and that we're yet to determine the long term impacts of these ingredients, I no longer wanted that on, or in, my body. I can't see an immediate impact on my health of using an organic product, but I also wouldn't see an immediate impact of using beauty products with a cocktail of chemicals, and I never want to. So in terms of the health benefits associated with coconut oil, this gets a big tick.

While I can't see health improvements, I can definitely see improvements in the look and feel of my skin. Previously when I'd moisturise in the morning, my skin would absorb it like a dehydrated marathon runner. By evening it was like I'd never moisturised and my skin was back to its lacklustre self. Since moisturising with coconut oil my skin has never been softer. Even on days when I run out of time and don't moisturise, my skin is softer which shows it's genuinely more hydrated overall. Tick.

Source

Now for the smell. I use Niugini Organics coconut oil and it has the most divine smell. There is nothing artificial about it and it's not a sickly coconut smell. It's love. It's nice to have a natural fragrance for once and while it isn't super strong, I think you could go without perfume. Another tick because it's less chemicals on your body.

Another good thing about coconut oil is that you only need a small amount so it will last a looong time. The oil will often solidify in the container so you just scoop out a 20c piece amount and the heat from your body will cause it to liquify. While it doesn't completely absorb into your skin immediately, I find it's best to start out with a small amount and build up so you don't end up with too much on.

If coconut oil was any other moisturiser on the market it would get a tick for being organic, providing results and smelling amazing; but coconut oil isn't any other moisturiser. It's good for you, and good for the environment.

For more information on the endless uses and benefits of coconut oil, I suggest you read:


Have you made the switch to coconut oil?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I respond to them all so be sure to check back xx